Food provides us nutrients. These nutrients are in the form of chemicals in our daily food. All these Foods Nutrients -6 Groups are critical to our growth, health and function. Simply, we say food, when we talk about what we eat but what are foods nutrients? We enjoy eating different foods. What does our food contain? Eating food which provides the all essential nutrients helps maintain wellness and good health.
What are Nutrients, quantity to and Micronutrients
Our daily food is made up of different chemicals. Some of these chemicals are not useful for our body but others are very important for our good growth and daily life activities. These useful chemicals are called nutrients. The nutrients that our body needs in large quantity to help normal functions and health, are called macronutrients. On the other hand, the nutrients that our body needs in a small quantity are called micronutrients. Our bodies need micronutrients to regulate different functions. Vitamins and minerals are examples of micronutrients.
6 Groups of Nutrients and Their Functions
- Fats and oils
These 6 groups as foods nutritional elements perform important functions in our bodies.
- Carbohydrates: They provide primary energy source for our body. Their chemical structure is composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Fruits, vegetables, seeds and grains are the best source of carbohydrates.
- Proteins: Proteins’ function is to support tissue growth and maintenance. Amino acids are molecules which connect to make proteins. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen form amino acids. Meat, dairy items, nuts, and legumes are best sources of protein.
- Fats and oils: This nutrient is one of the main sources of energy. Chemically, they are made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. The Best food sources for fats and oils are vegetable oils, butter, and dairy products.
- Vitamins: Vitamins help with availability of macronutrients needed to building and maintaining our bones, muscles, and blood. They also support our vision and immune system. The Best sources of vitamins in our food are fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy products, chicken and meat.
- Minerals: Minerals organize amount of fluid and energy production in our body. They also help and maintain quality of our blood and bones. During the process of metabolism our body gets rid of harmful by=products with the help of minerals. Some examples of minerals are sodium, potassium, calcium, and iron. The Best sources are fresh fruits, vegetables, daily products, chicken and beef and mutton.
- Water: Water is so simple but it plays the most important role in order to work all our body functions successfully. They keep fluids balance, help in nerve impulses regulation and muscles’ health. Water is chemically composed of hydrogen and oxygen. The Best sources of water are fresh and clean water, soups, fresh fruits, and vegetables.
How Much of Each Nutrient Do We Need?
Foods nutrients – 6 groups. Yes, right! We need all 6 nutrients in our food to stay healthy. But how much of each nutrient do we need? It’s always important to take just enough quantity of each food nutrient. Normally, a person who eats a healthy balanced diet that includes lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, complex carbohydrates, and water will get the nutrients he needs. For the more clarity, I found an awesome article about how much of each food nutrient do we need ?
According a scientific research, the daily amount of carbohydrates we need is 45% to 65% of our food. Daily estimated fats we required is 20% to 30% and the amount of protein our body needs is 10% to 35%. Estimated energy requirement is not same for each person on daily basis. We must know about our daily estimated energy needed. It will help us to maintain our body weight.
NIH website explains dietary guidelines and suggests eating:
- Vegetables 2 to 3 cups
- Fruits 1/2 to 3 cups
- Grains 5 to 8 ounces
- Dairy 3 cups (Fat free or low fat)
- Protein foods 5 to 61/2 ounces
- Oils or fats 5 to 7 tea spoons
It’s not just how much of each nutrient we should eat it’s also how much of food we should eat. What portion of any food is the best amount for us to keep our body well is also important. We can easily find out our daily estimated energy requirement. Knowing the amount of calories helps us to maintain healthy body weight. What we eat on daily basis, should also provide recommended nutrients to keep us healthy and well. It means we need to look at the nutrients and amount of calories in our food we choose to eat, to stay well and maintain healthy weight.
Mostly, we can find serving size for any food in order to understand the amount of calories or foods nutrients but portion of any food vary depending upon the person or the place where food is served. The portion of food can be small at home but it would be bigger at the restaurants. If we know how to manage our portions then there is nothing wrong to eat outside sometimes. For example, we can eat just small appetizers. We can also share our main entree with our friend. Another way is to eat half of our food and ask for the take out container for the other half.
We can now conclude, what do we mean by foods nutrients – 6 groups. Food is one of the most important needs of our body. It is also fun to eat. Enjoying and appreciating food comes with the responsibility. Food nutrients and their amount matters for our good health. The amount of food or portions are manageable if we have a good plan of eating healthy and staying well. So, get ready! I will continue my research and in my next blog, I will be discussing how we can adopt an organized approach in order to meet the requirements of eating healthy and staying healthy!
Let me know if you have any questions. Please comment for your suggestions and ideas.